Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Spirit of Friendship


We had the community Christmas carols for the children last night and when I arrived home a dear school friend rang to remind me of our Christmas lunch today with another special friend. Ooops!

I could have done the whole take a ‘rain check’ and “I’m just not organized” thing, but I decided that they could have me with dog hair on the floor, Christmas lights boxes strewn everywhere, clutter and all.

As usual it was a lovely lunch, chatting effortlessly and laughing together. We shared a meal, gifts and our secrets. Not a look of disdain at my dishevelled home. Just how it should be.

The dog hair still hasn’t been swept up, the dishes haven’t been done but I have finally felt like it’s Christmas when friends share the spirit of giving and spending quality time together.

It’s another quote night tonight because I am off to the Road to Bethlehem to see, as my daughter says, the “three leopards, Mary and Jofus.” It’s a play performed by a Christian group with camels and amazing lighting etc. But it’s also another opportunity to spend some time as a family celebrating the story of Christmas and the joy of being together.


“It comes every year and will go on forever. And along with Christmas belong the keepsakes and the customs. Those humble, everyday things a mother clings to, and ponders, like Mary in the secret spaces of her heart." 


~ Marjorie Holmes, American writer

No comments:

Post a Comment