Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

What's Your Status?

I was having this conversation with my family the other day about how instant and far-reaching social networking is these days. People can check their emails on their iphone, update their status on Facebook and tag a photo in a minute or two. I haven't got one of those fancy phones yet. I'm still the snail mail girl!

I find the social media 'thing' daunting yet interesting, but when it comes down to spending quality time, I'd prefer to pick up a phone than tell someone electronically what I ate for dinner or what I'm doing that split second. I guess I like to keep some things private.

Speaking of privates, Nick Riewoldt must be cursing the 'viral' world. Whether or not friends or a stranger took the naked photo is irrelevant. Australian privacy laws are so ambiguous and anyone has the right to publish a damaging photo on Facebook or similar sites without breaking the law. Lads who fooled about with their pants down is having far reaching implications for St Kilda Football Club when the girl should have just kept her peepers off the image. But how many B&T's have accidentally popped up on the internet and how many of us are quite happy to have a little perve?

Facebook and Twitter are valuable marketing tools. In the world of books all good publishers use it to promote their products with author signings, quirky competitions and reviews. They can deliver their message instantly and cheaply.

I am an infrequent user of Facebook. I go through spurts of writing messages and was amazed when I had a little surf through my profile and friends' pages and saw how much people divulge to the wider world. As for the 'like' thumbs up business - this affirms that there are a lot of snoops out there!

The questions is did I see the St Kilda boys' crown jewels. Absolutely! Be careful of the camera lens - it doesn't lie!

Receiving a cup of tea. Hot hot hot. Will drink in 3 minutes...ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment