Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Friday, August 27, 2010

Addicted to D.C

I’d like to say that water, being healthy, refreshing and free, is my favourite drink, but I’m actually torn between a good old Diet Coke (D.C) and Amarula on ice.  I discovered the latter camping in South Africa, with hippos and lions lurking outside, while I was having a little tipple inside (o.k. a little embellishment – admittedly I was tucked up safely in my tent with an Askari* on stand-by.)

Amarula is a blend of cream and wild fruit from the Marula Tree (native to South Africa).  Elephants are renowned for getting ‘pissed’ on these tasty treats. It’s just like a Baileys (only better). Impossible not to over imbibe on this creamy treat!

D.C, we all know, has phenylalanine and all sorts of other chemical ‘crap’ that is probably eating away at my insides as we speak. I don’t smoke, nor do I drink heavily or ‘do’ drugs so I have to have some sort of vice. As much as I’d like to think that everyone else is the addicted fool, I am hopelessly devoted (addicted) to the silver and red can and its caffeinated contents. I get such a rush from an icy cold DC sliding down my throat.

This takes me back to the current stockpile of books on my bedside table.  I am reading Allen Carr’s Easy Way To Stop Smoking.  I can hear my friends and family snorting with laughter, saying “ you’ve never even had a puff!”

It’s a book for addicted smokers and I’m definitely not part of this group. However, psychological trickery fascinates me. Perhaps I can apply the same reasoning to my current one can a day addiction to D.C? The Amarula nightcaps now and again are not so worrying.

To find out more about this book you will have to wait until after the weekend when I have finished reading it. Stay tuned…


 * Askaris (‘soldiers’ in Swahili) are traditional African warriors who carry poisonous spears and use traditional defence weapons. Many safari groups pay for askaris to guard the westerners and their possessions in the African campsites and ward off any prowling animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment