Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Monday, August 23, 2010

Wheels in Motion


We’ve all had a gym membership that’s lapsed, movie tickets that have expired. or worse a $200 dress we’ve only worn once!

The longer you leave it, the quicker it expires or goes way beyond the point of return.

I did the same with my Create a Kid’s Picture Book course. For a variety of reasons I let it slide just as I was in the final 10th module. I didn’t just give up or get bored. I had the best of intentions, but we all know that famous Robbie Burns quote in John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men: “The best laid schemes o' Mice and Men gang aft aglee".

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy !

Robert Burns

This poem is about a mouse lamenting a man who has just ploughed over his home in the field. Just like Mousie things did go astray in my case (my house is fine thankfully), but I always intended to bounce back into books.

A  ‘few drinks’ in between courses, I am attempting to get my wheels in motion again and not only finish this course but embark on the novel writing course as well. It will put me in good stead when I eventually help publicise a book.

To understand how an author works and what is involved in writing, I believe it is important to do this groundwork. Besides, I love to write…in case you haven’t noticed.

The wheels are turning and I feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment