Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

In P.R By Default - Pray Tell









My earliest passions as a young girl were talking, reading and writing and doing anything I possibly could with books. While others were building cubby houses, I was stamping library ‘picture’ books from my book case (much to Mum's horror). I could have been a great librarian – if I didn’t talk so much…ha ha.


Several family members and primary teachers thought I'd be a journo after reading my wildly imaginative stories written on that dinosaur A3 computer paper (80’s memory).


My first memorable story in primary school was about how my Old English Sheep dog Zesty lost her tail (in those days it was legal to dock tails). According to my story, Mum accidentally pegged Zesty’s tail as she leapt up at the clothesline. That’s how Ugg boots came about too did you know? O.K, it needed fine-tuning but my imagination was unleashed that day and it continues to roam today.


Somehow I didn’t go down the journalism path and got swept into Post Grad. P.R after an Arts Degree. I'm actually quite a genuine (non spinner), socially intelligent (sees through the fluff) but 'reluctant to press the flesh' (with insincere spifs) kind of gal. How I ended up in PR is a mystery. Must be the allure of publicising, which we all know is more than words.
So now I’ve got my opening spiel out the way. I can have fun with books and words on my Blog.


When I said to a friend tonight that I still have a desire to write a book, she suggested that this may be the medium in which I fulfill that dream to be a writer. Ever the optimist my friend, but for once I think ‘yeh I can’.


I’m off to sink my teeth into John Marsden’s Tomorrow, When The War Began. Heard it’s great. I love YA fiction even though I can’t quite squeeze my 35 year old ‘Crows Feet’ into that category any more.


Still learning about Blogging so if you have any words of advice "pray tell".




No comments:

Post a Comment