Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Freaky Friend Friday











I’ve had one of those Celestine Prophecy type days when you meet people for a reason. Did I mention that I love stopping to chat with complete strangers, in shopping queues, on a footpath, at parks and swimming pools? I often form characters for my personal stories from these chance meetings. The wrinkles, the posture, the pitch in the voice - it just starts me ticking.


I was greeting a friend in my driveway when Anne (my 80 + year old neighbour over the back fence), who inadvertently supplies me with citrus fruit (thanks to the overhang), walked past with Honey her dog – my cue to give her the organic grape fruit marmalade that's been sitting on my Singer since the end of July.


Then I was sitting sipping on my ‘not too sweet’ hot chocolate in the local shopping centre and a lady I needed to chat to about trees and arborists dashed past me (well she tried). We caught up on pleasantries and I was able to get the contact details needed to challenge the council on the sorry demise of my Mum & Dad’s Grey Ghost Gum…but that’s another story.


As I was deep in conversation about ‘ tree hugging arborists vs. tree chopping vigilantes, a school friend who lives in Abu Dhabi strutted down the travellator. She was out visiting for a month and was meeting up with another school friend, in fact the first friend I made at secondary school when I lost my locker key (unfortunately I still have the habit of losing my keys). Any way a catch up is on the cards.


Then a kinder/karate friend forwarded a link to an online mag I may be interested in browsing. This friend and I have struck up a very chatty and easy-flowing friendship as we drive to work each Thursday to teach intellectually disabled adults self-defence. Our conversation gushes out with such enthusiasm and we hardly draw breath in our 50 minute round trip. She calls a spade a spade and is also one of those career support/advice friends that I ‘ear-chew’ quite often. There she was again with her email giving me another avenue to explore. Thanks Mrs F!


The free online mag is called Maeve and I love it. Love it. Absolutely Love it! It is so ‘me’ and wonderfully eclectic – one article about women in business, another about the tragic social implications when new borns die and an interesting article about networking and how natural, social and ‘unscary’ it really is - not to mention book reviews, quirky pics, tit bits and so much more.


Tonight I’ll close on a question posed in a Maeve article: “What can you do today to change your life forever?” It struck a chord with me. Check it out…
http://www.maevemagazine.com/content.asp                                                                           

1 comment: