Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Friday, August 20, 2010

Piles of Pages

You should see my bedside table! Apart from all the lotions and potions to keep me young and beautiful forever (not really working…ha ha,) you will find a mountain of books.

I have finally got around to buying the trilogy in the Bronze Horseman series – The Summer Garden (it’s a mere 839 pages). I also have the second in the Tomorrow series: The Dead of the Night; Morris Gleitzman’s Once (inspired by stories of the Holocaust) and to imbalance all my books Allen Car’s Easy Way To Stop Smoking (ironically I’ve never smoked but the idea of a psychological trickery book intrigues me.)

I can’t complain about variety and depending on my mood I can choose a junior, young adult (YA) or adult book.  When I am tired, I prefer the less complex language of a YA book.

My good friend Mrs Jingle can take the credit for my vicarious pleasure. She came up to me after Hoshiki Kiritsu class * and said I have a good book for you to read: Marcus Zusak’s “the Book Thief – need I say more.

Mrs Jingle has quite a collection of books and it’s growing by the day. I can honestly say that my pile and smile wouldn’t be so huge without her influence.

I better get cracking on my combined 1,881 pages. Shiver and Linger are nipping at my heels…


* Hoshiki Kiritsu is a Japanese freestyle martial art that combines many different combat disciplines, including: joint manipulation; reflex conditioning; wrestling; boxing; ground defence; and kickboxing. It incorporates katas and self defence techniques into the curriculum as well as mental discipline. I started in 1998 to learn a few 'groin flicks' in case I got into trouble and I am still there over a decade later (with a few kid stops in between.)


 Check it out:  http://hkmartialarts.com   

2 comments: