Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Gastro Boy

Ah the sweet scent of spring. Lilacs, roses in bloom, lavender and Pineoclean!

Yes that’s right, Gastro is sweeping our house, with my son thundering in the bowl after school today (poor sweetie). My hub and I are probably next on the hit list and then it’s moving to a gut near you!

The medical definition for gastroenteritis is acute infectious syndrome of the stomach lining and intestines. The obvious symptoms are diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal cramps.

Apparently many microorganisms produce it either by secreting toxins or by invading the gut walls. Sounds pleasant – NOT!

It’s a given that you’ll get it if you have children and it doesn’t matter how hygienic you are. It just makes it way into your gut (whether by air particles, hand holding or shopping trolley handles) and lets you know it’s there – quite suddenly!

Every person I know cringes at the mention of the word Gastro because they know its more accurate definition, which is:

Gastro is a bug that makes you and your loved ones feel like shit (pardon the pun), stuffs up your plans for the week. It creates a wave of mass household destruction. Soils linen, stains carpet, clogs up your plughole, cancels your waxing appointment, causes excessive icy-pole demanding, ruins your chances of a child-free day, eats into your cleaning product supplies, makes the house smell more like a hospital than a home and makes your child hungry, not hungry, throw up and hungry again.

I think I better contact Macquarie Dictionary – I could have found a new career, rewriting dictionary definitions.

Any way, I promise I’ll return to writing about books tomorrow night. Pap Smears and Gastro is too much information in one week.

I am reading Kathy Walker’s latest book after listening to her talk at our AGM about Self Esteem & Resilience and may have some parenting tips for you.

In the meantime – it’s time to glove-up and get out my trusty IKEA shower-curtain splash mat – oh the sweet smells of spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment