Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Friday, October 1, 2010

Our Patch – Companion Planting Book Review


I’m off to the market in the morning to select my spring veggies, which will hopefully be in my salad bowl by Christmas.

Two years ago I had a bumper crop with broccoli, beans, beets and healthy mixed lettuces, not to mention a tasty selection of organic tomatoes. The only problem was when I harvested my veggies; I disturbed am army of caterpillars residing in my broccoli. They thought it tasted pretty good too.

My hub and I have grown veggies since we bought our first home. Sometimes we only get a punnet of strawberries all season, or a small disfigured bunch of carrots. When we get surplus it gives us the biggest buzz. I put veggies into absolutely everything and even the dog gets a sneaky carrot grated into her dinner when the garden is flourishing. I barter with the neighbours. Here are some tomatoes – feel free to make chutney.  I put herbs in a jar to make the kitchen fresh and it’s great entertainment for the kids: “See who can pick the most cherry tomatoes” or “how many beans can you count?”

I try and rotate where I plant the veggies every spring and this year I am also armed with Companion Planting in Australia by Brenda Little.

This book is alphabetically set out, much like Stephanie Alexander’s A Cook’s Companion. It talks about vegetables, flowers that compliment veggies; pests that endeavor to stifle their growth and interesting facts or advice. Little has gathered this information from various gardeners, especially her late grandfather.

Some gardening books get carried away with fancy photos and long-winded descriptions. In Companion Planting in Australia, if I want to look up basil – I go to ‘B’ and it’s there. Simple. Basil keeps aphids; fruit fly, whitefly and the house hold blowfly at bay. I won’t have a citronella candle on my outdoor table this year; I’ll have a big pot of basil. It also happens to be my favourite herb.

I’ve learnt that strawberries are friends with sage and lettuces but dislike cabbage. Roses love to live with parsley and garlic (makes them smell sweeter) and camellias enjoy a tea bag or two on their roots. Potatoes team well with beans, cabbage, corn and marigolds and whatever you do, never plant mint near parsley.

I’ve already mapped out my veggies and may even introduce my standard Icebergs to a bit of continental parsley. Not so sure the garlic will compliment the fragrant lavender.

Sunshine is predicted for the weekend. Join me and plant your veggie family as well. You too could be eating Christmas ham and home grown tomatoes on toast. Yum!

PS They are my lettuces from 2008 in the picture - here's hoping this coming crop is as lush.

1 comment:

  1. I have terrible flies today - am off to plant basil EVERYWHERE! Thanks for the tip!

    Bec

    ReplyDelete