Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Right of Reply

It’s always great when you stir up a response to something you write. I expected more backlash from my gentle dig at belonging to a book club (Sep 7, 2010). Mrs. F naturally took the bait: “Cup of tea! We only drink wine at our book club!”

Below is an interesting response from Mrs. Jingle to my comments last night on When The War Began movie versus book:

Re. the origin of the attackers. We know that Marsden never chose to reveal the race that attacked.  He has said he didn't want to, as it doesn't matter.

I have just read a passage where someone nasty is talking to Ellie and says, "How did you know General S- would be there?"   It then goes on to say: “I couldn't pick up on the name he said, it was not an easy one to pronounce.” Another clever way of Marsden making it clear that he will never reveal the true identity of the invaders.

I personally believe that when he wrote that ‘they’ spoke in a foreign 'unrecognisable' tongue, that this did not rule out an Asian country.  An Asian country was always my first belief (being so close to us and easy to invade). Having said this I still doubt China - it's their cities that are over populated I believe.  And, having travelled through Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and even include Nepal and Sri Lanka, if I heard someone speaking Korean or Taiwanese, I would call that an Asian 'unrecognisable' tongue - BUT - Marsden wanted to make a point that it doesn't matter which country invaded which is why I believe he said 'foreign'.

These thoughts have only just been more confirmed in my mind as where I am up to now [Book 3] the 'foreigners' are serving rice, steamed fish and curried meat' to prisoners.  That rules out European, Russian etc in my opinion, as they would be serving potatoes not rice most likely.  And if they were Chinese, they wouldn't be serving curried meat!  Chinese don't eat curry!   So, my thoughts still lend to Marsden picturing an Asian or Sub-Continental Asian country.  If you overheard Vietnamese, Korean or Sri Lankan or Nepali, most would say they did not recognise the language...

The problem with Blogger is that it is very difficult for a reader to leave a message. I have seven followers who tackled the process of ‘following’ but then probably another half a dozen or so who text or email to my personal account. I really appreciate the support (and comments.) I don’t claim to be some literary talent. It’s jut nice to write and reach others or generate further discussion. Good or bad.

I am somewhat flat today because I got my first two assignments back from my course instructor in the junior novel writing course. She thinks I am trying too hard: “Some of your images and effects sound a bit strained.” (In reference to my piece about massaging my Grandpa’s feet.) It’s not the first time I have been told to K.I.S.S (keep it simple silly.) She thinks I use too many dashes and inverted commas but I guess I have a chatty style of writing and I prefer to describe things rather than leave a flat description. Simplicity is difficult for me.

Your friends never tell you if they don’t like your work. It’s a bit like never knocking your mum’s cooking or your dad’s handiwork. Sure it’s a blow to my ego, but I will definitely look at my descriptions and think about how clear they are to others, even if I know exactly how it is suppose to be. Any way every one has the right of reply. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment