Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Rock


There has been a lot written about ‘rocks’ of late with a rare pink diamond selling for a record 47.2 million to an English jeweller and Kate Middleton sporting a whopping gem after her engagement to Prince William. Then of course there’s the usual influx of catalogues with bling to buy for your Christmas sweetheart.

I like simple and elegant jewellery so it was quite out of character for me to choose a Ceylon sapphire as my engagement ring centrepiece eleven years ago. It’s such a beautiful ring and the memories of the day it was slipped on my finger still sparkle.

My hub proposed to me at Squeaky Beach, Wilson’s Promontory. It was the first beach I took him to as a backpacker and we liked the fact that you had to walk twenty minutes to reach it. Cuts out the beach bogans and whining kids (who we had little tolerance for pre-children.)

The sand at Squeaky Beach is pure white and contains silica. Ironically it’s almost the same quality as zirconium, which is the poor man’s diamond. The sand squeaks because the particles are all the same size. Recently, Squeaky Beach was named the most romantic beach in Victoria. Sounds like others had similar ideas to my hub.

It’s a mysterious ring and changes colour with the seasons and in this humid stormy weather we are experiencing, it has become an ice blue. I decided to write about it.

You sit majestically upon my finger. Your giant blue eye, encased in its golden arms. Diamond friends glisten with clarity and carat on your shoulders. They are the keepers of the secret of this eternal bond.

I could leap into your kaleidoscope. Brilliant blue, smoky. Sometimes a mysterious shadowy grey. You never look common to me. You never look dull, watching me from your rose gold filigree throne.

You garden, you clean, you wash, and weather all my storms. Beaming up at me, my beautiful Ceylon sapphire. Strong and constant.

Amazing what flicking through a few catalogues can inspire. Diamonds (sapphires) are a girl’s best friend after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment