Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Not So Black and White


Stories aren’t just about words. There are also pictures. These may be illustrations that are interpreted from the text by the illustrator, or they may be the images we create in our mind as a result of reading the words. When we see a picture, words spring to mind like that’s a happy picture, that man looks sad, those hands look seductive, and so on.

When I refreshed my quirky news page ninemsn, I saw something that made me smirk – a sexy 7 month pregnant naked model. O.k. So it was Miranda Kerr with her barely there tummy and Bio Oiled bod, but please… Who looks like that when they feel like a hippo? Not your average 7-month pregnant woman!

In fact the whole concept of a birth plan is so crazy. I remember it vividly. I had a calming C.D, my own doona to make the hospital room feel homely and makeup, moisturiser and perfume to pamper me afterwards. Not to mention the shower cap so that my hair wasn’t going to be wet for the after-birth photos.

Apart from the fact that number one was an undiagnosed breech and horrendously painful, I didn’t give a rats what I looked like and if any one played Enya to me I would have thrown a fist through the shower that I was drenching myself (minus a shower-cap) in.

The most honest picture ninemsn could have published would have been a lady with swollen angles, puffy feet, sore back and enlarged breasts with a few stretch marks and veins for good measure. Sound birth plan advice– just do what you have to and don’t look at sexy models when you are about to burst!

Demi Moore was the first to go nude in Vanity Fair in 1991. She also looked stunning and portrayed most pregnant women unrealistically. I’m not even going to discuss Jen Hawkins’ nude spread without an airbrush. Shock. Horror.

These images cause unnecessary stress for your average every-day women, especially when they are seven months pregnant and raging with hormones.

When I saw this black and white picture of Kerr on ninemsn, I thought, it’s impossible to look that amazing when you have a 32-week baby inside. I’m sure many will disagree, but this photographic story had ‘fiction’ written all over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment