Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Your Name Is?


One of the smartest things you can do in your personal and professional life is to remember a name. I do well on a personal level and know my postie Bob, my neighbours (and their pets) two doors each way, Denise and Marlene who scan my shopping items and people I attended primary school with. However, when it comes to remembering authors I can occasionally draw blanks.

Doing the banking this morning a blonde haired lady who didn’t look remotely familiar to me, chatted about the business and asked what we did as I was depositing the company cheques. As I bid her good day she said clearly, “Have a great day Sam.”

Now, that’s stumped me and I have no idea how she knows me. Did she just guess it was Sam from signing a ‘s’ in my signature? Did she overhear the kids telling me something on another occasion? Did I accidentally have a Sam name-tag stuck somewhere? Perhaps she knows my Mum? I never got to ask her, but walked out of that bank impressed that she knew my name. Now that’s the way to do business.

A name is so important so why do I often forget an author or singer’s name? I get so absorbed in the book and the words that I am oblivious to the two words emblazoned on the front cover. This is the one person who deserves the accolades. It is this person who has made me cram their collection of carefully chosen words into my busy day. It’s only another two names to recall.

Who wrote On Jellicoe Road? Tom Sawyer? Anne of Green Gambles? Memoirs of a Geisha? The Lovely Bones? The Colour Purple?

Good for you if you have the authors’ names entrenched in your memory, but if you are like me and struggle to remember names of people you’ve never met face to face, try and say their name aloud every time you open your book and you will remember it. This is especially if it’s a book worth recalling.

A name is something everyone identifies with, love or hate it it’s ours until we are dust. Remembering how important it is to remember is a step in the right direction.

P.S.

·      Mellina Marchetta
·      Mark Twain
·      Lucy Maud Montgomery
·      Arthur Golden
·      Alice Sebold
·      Alice Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment