Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Dad - My "Shiner" Light!


It used to annoy me that everyone claims to have the ‘best dad in the world!” It couldn’t be possible when I have the best dad in the world!

No-one makes a cup of tea so lovingly, or spent hours fine-tuning the sharpest affirmative speech for school debating. The steady supply of meals on wheels and the thoughtful and encouraging comments. The hours of free labour on every home I have lived in, baby-sitting, nurturing and entertaining my kids and helping in any way he can. Dirko (Dad), quite often whips up a meal at no notice – gourmet standard! No-one could be better than my Dad!

For the last seven years, I have also shared Father’s Day with my husband who is beautiful, creative and selfless with our kids. The ‘splodgy’ handprint cards have been replaced by gorgeous descriptive scrawls or detailed artwork. But this Father’s Day (apart from the heartfelt messages and drawings,) my youngest daughter gave her Dad – her ‘shining’ light – the ultimate knock-out gift – a black eye!

Lamenting the loss of our favourite football team, my hub had consumed a few cheeky beers. In a relaxed state he kissed the kids goodnight and our daughter sat up as he reached down  - heads colliding and tears spilling.

Thankfully, she hasn’t got a mark on her. As for my hub – he looks like he’s auditioning for a ‘drag queen’ role, with his purple accentuated eyelid.

I can’t deny that there was a huge expletive from him when it happened, but my hub took it on the chin (or eye) just like a doting father.

Bless our little poppet when she piped up: “It was an accident wasn’t it Dad? We were both brave because you’re the best dad in the world.”

There’s that claim again and guess what? She is absolutely right! A dad, any dad, is not really the best in the world, rather your world and to you that is the world!

My Dad is the best dad in my world and my hub is the best dad in our children’s world (and rightly so) – and definitely their ‘shiner’ light!

No comments:

Post a Comment