Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Making a Meal of It!

Breakfast is the best meal of the day…if only I had an hour to eat and enjoy it!

Hence the reason why my usual breakfast consists of something rushed and basic. I have a three-minute window of opportunity to eat it because, let’s face it; I am not a ‘morning’ person and invariably running late.

I’ve got my yoghurt ‘scoop and swallow’ personal best down to 46 seconds. A bowl of cereal with sliced banana and sultanas eats (pardon the pun) into my still ‘comatosed’ in bed with a ‘cup of tea’ time (all that slicing uses up precious minutes). On the other hand, a piece of toast and Promite (yes I know – I’m a weirdo) can also be consumed as I’m packing lunch boxes, brushing hair or chasing the dog who is scavenging for the kid’s left over cereal.

Today was a different story. I did the breakfast ‘Fin. Review reading’ sock wearing lovers proud.  It started leisurely with homemade muesli and an assortment of fresh berries and Margaret River yoghurt. This was washed down with apple and guava juice and a ham and Jarlsberg cheese croissant. Pause for a cheeky M&M  (part of the table decoration,) then corn cakes, prosciutto, basil-infused roasted tomatoes and mini egg and bacon bread quiches. But wait there’s more! A platter of mixed danishes and chocolate croissants married with an espresso (or in my case more juice). Time to undo the jeans!

I really enjoyed this breakfast because it had a purpose - to celebrate a good friend’s birthday and it started at a respectable 9am when, even I, (who got to bed at 2am preparing for today) could struggle out of bed.

It was such a feast that an apple sufficed for lunch and I didn’t have a bloated tummy and plenty of brainpower as I charged through the day.

Am I a convert? If I could eat all that at 9am with time to savour each course – absolutely!  Sorry, but I’m not interested in eating a bowl of organic porridge with a freshly squeezed juice at 7am.

I know a lot of my friends love their first meal of the day. I enjoy my first, my middle, last and ‘inbetweens’. I’m happy to have a lavish breakfast now and again, but quite content with my ‘sleep saving’ Farmers’ vanilla yoghurt.

Alas, it is Father’s Day this weekend. Maybe I will be in the kitchen before my eyes have adjusted to the harsh reality of morning light – urgh!

PS. Check out the beauty I dished up hubby "Dadda" last year (sunny side up)

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm can't wait till MY birthday!!!! Am making your carrot cakes for our family fathers day!

    ReplyDelete