Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

The 'G' Word


“For my birthday I’d like a real horse, some puppies and pink fairy cakes with sparkles”

We laugh – then think don’t be ridiculous – and say, “we’ll see,” and probably end up giving in to that gorgeous and irresistible ‘milk teeth’ grin.

I’m your old fashioned ‘party in the backyard’ Mum and of the 10 parties we’ve put on for our children (combined) none have been done by halves. I like to think they have the intimacy of being ‘home-made’ and unique.

I work with our kids chosen theme (can be difficult when it changes five times in a year) and then collect things intermittently in the 6-month lead up, from costumes and horseshoes, to Barbie pictures and footy paraphernalia.

My son is almost seven (two more sleeps) and all he wanted was a simple party with four friends. He requested McDonalds and a movie. I rubbed my hands with glee at the thought of not cooking or having to make crazy decorations – not to mention tearing around the house with a ‘bog brush’ two minutes before 20 psyched kids make an assault on your house! That was until the 'G' word threatened to bring our plans into disrepute.

‘G’ – being gluten, is in reference to a gluten-free diet - or as my son calls those affected, ‘gluten ferrets’ (said very endearingly and innocently of course.)

Gone are the days of a packet of party pies, bowl of Cheezels and fairy bread triangles. These days you worry someone will have an anaphylactic fit if they eat nuts, get hyperactive from food colours, rashes from eggs or of course a reaction to the big ‘G’. No wonder no one wants to cook!

Out of the five children at the party (the numbers crept up with twins,) three are ‘gluten ferrets,’ therefore a Big Mac is off the cards and there goes my cooking-free party.
Beauty & the Beast and some moon stealing Scrooge movie were the best an offer for seven-year-old boys, so the movie option also got the axe.

Suddenly my ‘oh so simple’ party of five has become a footy clinic (my hub whipped up a 2 metre wide by 1.2 metre high hand-ball board last night,) and BBQ with Angus Beef gluten-free sausages, salad without dressing, meringues and popcorn cakes. I’ve even been coerced into hosting a sleep over because the movie choice was so poor. All thanks to a couple of ‘gluten ferrets!'

Seriously, it can be very dangerous for Coeliacs to consume gluten in any form. I appreciate the need to prepare and serve food in a gluten free zone and some of my dear friends or their children endure this condition - but surely 3 in 5 at a party isn’t normal odds?

God help me when I get to the (now) ‘puppy party’ and I can’t make those sparkly puppy fairy cakes – I better get myself some good gluten-free party cook books!

** Thanks to my dear friend Ms Angel who helped me with my popcorn cakes that are going to form the number ‘7’ (see pic above).


No comments:

Post a Comment