Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Ubiquitous Me

UBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUS
UBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUS
UBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUS


“I have a great book, it’s just a short one and brilliantly written…you’ll read it in a couple of hours,” said Mrs. Jingle. I replied: “Yeah, sure. No worries!” That was Tuesday…

Meanwhile, my daughter asked me to draw her a chipmunk, my son needed help with his readers, the dog hinted at her dinner, while mine was churning through the pasta machine. God only knows why I had to be so organic on a frantic night like that. Birthday cakes were baking, books for the business were overdue (sorry Mrs Mac & Mrs B you won’t be impressed,) and my blog entry beckoned.

I find my two-hour window (if the sleep fairies aren’t stomping on my eyelids) is well into the night when bedtime ritual, dinner and dishes are done. I’m often snuggled up in bed opening my book at midnight!

This latest ‘easy read’ is called Sawn Off Tales – a series of short stories by David Gaffney. He must be English because there are lots of English references and colloquialisms like B & Q and Asda and footy is soccer of course.

I read half of it in the car on the way to Healesville for breakfast with a good friend. Meanwhile my companion was swooning with carsickness. I probably made her feel giddier by reading.

Each tale is two pages long and very quirky indeed. Some of the scenarios are so bizarre, like stealing someone’s full shopping trolley (containing items on your list) to avoid having to shop. Lots of “caught in the acts” and just plain weird, ‘what was that about?’ stories.

I have 12 pages to go (or six stories) and this basic over-view will have to do for tonight. I’ve taken notes so I don’t forget the other 20 or so stories I have already read.

I need to be ubiquitous (great word that – look it up) again and get myself dressed for a night at Kofi Bean (great Moroccan restaurant), heat the risotto for the ‘stay at homes’, get the clothes off the clothes horse that are well toasted in their heated alcove, check emails, ask my hub about his day and get the pajamas ready on beds – all in 15 minutes. Here we go again…

Stand by for more Sawn Off ‘22’ Tales on Monday.

UBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUS
UBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUS
UBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUSUBIQUITOUS

No comments:

Post a Comment