Bedside View

Bedside View
1,881 Pages to go!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Magic of Puff


Puff the Magic Dragon resonates in my childhood and has recently been read, sung (albeit a little off key,) and celebrated at my daughter’s kinder. I am thrilled to review a book that brought back such fond memories.

There have been lots of misinterpretations of Puff the Magic Dragon (the song). Some say that it is full of references to marijuana: “Jackie Paper,” “autumn mist”, obviously “Puff”, “green scales,” and Honalee (Hanalei) is apparently renowned for its marijuana plantations*.

The ‘potheads’ have every right to claim the song, even if the “scales” reference is a little far fetched. As for me, I just see the intended meaning of a young boy, growing up and losing his innocence. A child on the other hand sees themes of adventure, friendship, and love. That’s how is should be!

Dad sang it to me when I was ‘knee high to a grasshopper’ and I in-turn sang it to my kids, especially my son (singing’s more of a novelty for the first-born.) I even used it as my audition song for selection into my Year 8 musical, Grease, (I think it was really my cute 12 year old freckles that did it!)**

The picture book has the original lyrics, with Puff the loveable, but brave, dragon and his special friend Jackie Paper, coming to life in the delicate and mythical illustrations by Eric Puybaret.

The magic of Puff’s adventures and the inevitable end to his friendship with Jackie: “A Dragon lives forever, but not so little boys and girls” (slight politically correct alteration from the original,) are explored. However, unlike the sad conclusion to the song, where Puff retreats back in to his lonely cave: “Green scales fell like rain,” the illustrations paint a new friendship with another young playmate for Puff.

This book is bound with history, written by Peter Yarrow (from Peter, Paul & Mary) who originally sung this classic and Lenny Lipton (wrote original poem and accidentally left it in a type-writer). Peter and his daughter Bethany also feature on a CD attached to the book.

What is the CD like? Put it this way, Hamish & Andy aren’t getting much playtime in my car at present!

If you have a young child, the spirit of this picture book will lift them. It’s a real coup for Koala Books and an absolute joy to have in my home again.



*See songfacts.com for more details or interpretations (these do not necessarily represent my views)

** PS. I know it wasn’t my foghorn voice that got me into Grease!

No comments:

Post a Comment